[Fot] GT6 engine block variations - TR6?

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Sun Jan 7 15:29:33 MST 2018

I pulled apart a spare short block to get at the crank, and thought I might get the block cleaned and prepped at the same time.  However, the block is different from any of the GT6 blocks I’ve used before.  Serial # shows as a GT6 motor - KD759681 - but the bores have notches cut out in the sump end and the block has cast-in “bulges” on the side opposite the distributor/oil galleys.
I’m guessing that this is a block that could have been used either for a GT6 or TR6 and the clearance is for the added TR6 stroke - but would like to confirm that they are interchangeable.  Definitely has a GT6 crank in it - same stroke.  Other aspects of the castings look the same.  Having been through probably 3 blocks in the past ten years, I’m puzzled I haven’t run into one of these before.

Photos of current and different block attached.  The clean one is my current GT6 block - there’s no serial # on that - got decked off.

Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone