[Fot] Gear ratios?

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 06:19:22 MST 2018

Hi Bud,
Those numbers look fishy. 4th gear should be 1:1, e.g. turning the input shaft one turn should yield one turn of motion at the output flange. The lower gears would turn the output flange less than one turn. A 1.33:1 overall third gear ratio would see the output flange turn 3/4 of a turn per one turn on the input shaft. Similarly, a 1.75:1 2nd gear would result in slightly more than half a turn (.57 to be exact) of the output flange per turn of the input shaft. Note that 1.33 and 1.75 are random numbers shown to illustrate and not actual gear ratios. I think the GT6 used 1.78 and 1.25 for 2nd and 3rd. At least the Mk3 GT had those ratios.

What you reported seems to be the opposite of my example.

It is possible that you are seeing some sort of "sticktion" where gooey oil in the gearbox is coming into play. But the key is that 4th should always be 1:1 unless there's an overdrive and that O/D is engaged.

But the only way to know for sure of what the ratios are is to count teeth and "do the math".
Can you remove the top cover and count the teeth on any of the gears on the main shaft? That should make it easier to identify what gear clusters are in there. You probably only need to count the teeth on the main shaft but I know squat about GT6 gearbox internals other than they are more Spitfire-like than TR-like so the lay shaft gear ratios may be fixed  as they are on the Spitfire. The point being that there are only so many ratios available that would  fit in the gearbox, so it should be fairly easy to figure out what you have there.

Regards,Bob Lang