[Fot] Quartermaster Clutches

marty trmarty at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 09:46:39 MDT 2019

Looking for some clutch help. I recently disassembled a quartermaster Pro 7.25 single disc clutch, not from my car. I have no experience with this style of clutch. Upon disassembly I observe that the flywheel insert, clutch disc and pressure plate only have had contact on the outer 3/8 " diameter.  Upon further investigation the flywheel insert surface is flat. The clutch surface thickness is uniform but if I lay a straight edge across the face of the Quartermaster pressure plate  it cups outward. My initial thought was "bingo" this would cause the wear pattern I am observing. Must be something out of whack with the pressure plate insert.  I contacted quartermaster and described what I saw and they were not much help other than "something must be warped". I was getting ready to order a replacement pressure plate insert but I stopped over to Jason's shop and saw that he was working on a car that also ran a quartermaster Pro 7.25 clutch but this was a double disc. I took it apart and all components had even wear across the faces as one would expect.  I layed a straight edge across the pressure plate out of this assembly expecting to see a flat contact surface and was surprised to see the same cupped condition where the outer pressure plate surface would contact the clutch disc first as the one at home. Now I am at a loss as to what would cause this improper wear pattern. Any experience with this?

Marty