[Fot] squaring pads

DAVE HOGYE dlhogye at comcast.net
Sun Jul 21 22:10:50 MDT 2019

The more clearance between the slot in the caliper and the pad backing plate the quicker this becomes a problem.   I've measured .010-.012" total clearance on an NOS street pad and as much as .070" on a set of Carbotech pads.  The edges of the Carbotech backing plates looked to have been, (were definitely), ground off on and belt sander or grinder from the factory, right down to the edge of the friction pad and they were out of square by .035".  The side of the pad was making contact with the caliper slot.  This immediately caused problems with the caliper pistons cocking severely.  The pistons even left a witness mark in the bore of the calipers.  Not good.  The Carbotech pads had .070" wear diagonally across the friction surface in a couple of weekends of racing.  Unfortunately, Carbotech made many excuses and denials when I brought this to their attention.

If the pad backing plate is held close in the slot, the piston cannot get cocked as severely under hard braking.  Squaring of pad surface may still be desirable at some point, but pay close attention between of the width of the backing plate and the caliper slot.

I have found Hawk pads to be made with as close a clearance as factory pads and the same dimension on every order.  No variations.  The Hawk pads also have the same shape as factory pads, more like a pie cut.  Wider at the outer edge.  This helps compensates for rotor surface speed and reduces uneven wear.

I do like the feel of the Carbotechs, but I cannot rely on their quality control.

As you apply the brakes, the piston extends.  If the pad can move greatly within the caliper slot, the piston with take the side load, not the backing plate of the pad as it should.  If the backing plate is not square, the pad will also rotate a little.  Definitely not good.

Beware,

Dave H.