[Fot] Buying a Spitfire

Michael Moore mmoore at mtmcpafirm.com
Tue May 28 09:50:13 MDT 2019

Looking for a little help.

My brother-in-law is looking at a 76 Spitfire, he has never owned a British car, but wants a project to work on together and learn with his son who is into cars.

I told him the usual maintenance, etc. story. But I don't know much about Spitfires.

Looked over the car quickly yesterday, body is in good shape, no visible rust except battery box. Interior is old but decent. Will need brake job (really spongy) and rebuild front suspension.

Leaking oil at rear of head gasket (not valve cover) so a replacement will be needed.

Seller is asking $5500.

Is this a decent price (not adjusted for above items)?
Is this a good or bad year to buy?

Thanks, Mike

62 TR4, Race car
63 TR4, Street car