[Fot] Daytona Continental Winning 1957 TR3 for sale

Jim McAndrew jdment at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 28 11:16:44 MDT 2020

Daytona Continental Winning 1957 TR3 for sale

Many of you have received the latest edition of The Vintage Triumph from VTR. On the cover is Fred Schmidt’s beautiful restoration of Bill Cannons’ 24 Hour of Daytona class winning TR-4A. If you watch “Shelby American” of Netflix, you can see that car in some of the vintage film!

I have the predecessor to that car- the 1957 TR3 that Bill Cannons built and Dana Kelder/Ara Dube raced. It won its class at the Daytona Continental two years in a row, in 1963 and 1964.

The car was found by Tim Suddard in 1997. I bought it and (with lots of help) restored it. The car won a Gold Certificate and the Modified Class at the 2002 VTR Nationals in Redwing, Minnesota. It was also awarded the Ken Richardson Trophy that year.

I raced the car with the Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing group from 2003 to 2006. I raced in the Kastner Cup in 2006 at Hallet Motor Speedway. Kas was gracious to sign the car at that event and the car is one of the cars on the cover of his book, “Racing, Winning and Other Myths in Triumph Cars”.

The car won the Participant’s Choice, Best of Show, in 2017 at the VTR South Central Regionals in New Braunfels, Texas.

I’ve been trying to get the car back on the road as a fun, fast, reliable road car, but realize the my automotive mechanic talents and resources have reached their end. The car runs and drives. Carburation and wiring issues (left over problems from my ex-mechanic) are the limiting factors.

This has been a real hard decision for me, but it is time for me to sell this car and MANY spares to someone who wants to bring it back to life as a racer or a historic showpiece.

What is available:

The car- in it’s current configuration:

 Moss Supercharger with Mikuni carburetor

 Moldex crank

 Carrillo rods

 Aluminum radiator

 ARE alloy front engine plates

 4-speed straight cut gear box

 Hydraulic throwout bearing

 Salisbury limited slip

 Advance Auto-wire wiring harness

 Revington TR rally suspension

 Aluminum front hubs with uprated axles

 Southwick solid rear axle conversion

 Genuine Magnesium Minilites

 New roll bar with under dash bar and removable door bars

 Hardtop

Documentation-

 All pictures from the Daytona Archives (some are original, others are reprints)

 Original newspaper articles and race entries

 Original FIA papers

 Long play album, “Sounds of Daytona” with the car pictured on the cover

 Dana Kelder’s race overalls and jacket

 Amateur movie film of the car racing in the 60’s converted to VHS and DVD

What else:

 Original race parts (including endurance gas tank and flywheel “scatter shield”)

 3 additional engine blocks- Incl original motor from when raced in the 60’s

 2 extra heads- incl one with porting by Jack Drews

 Overdrive transmission

 2 extra alloy valve covers

 2 extra rear axles

 Extra metal body parts

 Almost a complete set of fiberglass body parts

 Set of aluminum reproduction minilites

 A new, complete, Advance Auto-wire wiring harness

 Extra Moldex crank- set up for Chevy bearings- with matching rods and pistons (unused)

 Extra rear springs, SU carburetors with ARE heat shield, driving lights, oil cooler, hard top rally light, rear luggage rack, Kas designed velocity stacks, ARE spun-aluminum headlamp covers with decals…

$33,000 OBO- offer going out first to FOT, then will be in next edition on The Vintage Triumph classifieds, then ?. If no takers, I’ll eventually start parting everything out.

Additional picture and details available on request.

Jim McAndrew.jdment at yahoo.com 903-780-1319Tyler, Texas