[Fot] Fwd: TR6 inner shaft bearing

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 06:02:59 MDT 2020

 Hi,
It's funny how some things seem to happen coincidentally - I had a customer car in the shop this week with a leaky stub axle. I had a re-conditioned stub axle on the shelf and bolted it in. The seal was clearly not riding on the axle seal surface. I took a test spin and "leak city". Pulled the stub and re-positioned the bearing away from the collar on the axle by about 1/4" to 3/8" (around 6 or 8 mm) and bolted it back up. Leak-free!
The bearing moved fairly easily on the shaft.
The flange, on the other hand - I have had them on a press and used 30 tons of force and the stub and flange did not separate. Note that when you use a press, do not use a universal collar to support the flange or you will bend the flange.
Regarding whether there's a"fix" for the bearing walking on the shaft, the answer is: there's a collar machined on the differential side of the stub axle that keeps the axle stub from pulling out and if forces try to push the stub towards the differential eventually the bearing bottoms on the output flange. But that stub position can move around a bit.

Good luck!
Regards,Bob Lang