[Fot] Fwd: TR6 inner shaft bearing

Bob Kramer rkramer56 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:31:52 MDT 2020

I have done about a lot of differential stub axle separations and about 2
dozen IRS hub explosions. I hesitate to mention my experiences because I'm
sure there are some
risks involved but they work for me and I have no failures.

I have access to a 40 ton press at work but I have only needed it twice. On
the stub axles hubs I have had good luck with a huge three leg puller. I
loosen the nut to protect
the threads, set up the puller under tension and give it a heavy smack on
the end with a 2 lb sledge. If I'm lucky I hear a loud bang and the puller
falls to the bench.  If that doesn't
work I take it to my Harbor Freight 10 ton press and leave it under tension
while I tap the sides a bit. They have popped there too. If not, I
reinstall the stub axle in the diff and
try another smack.  That usually does the trick. I have resorted to to a
few back and forth trips to the press but I always win. I should
probably pick an old busted up diff to use as a
"tool" for this but I've been doing this as a part of the disassembly.

For the IRS hubs I have one of the hub pullers that a list member made a
run of years ago. I don't always win. I have ruined at least one vise,
snapped the head on a 1/2" breaker bar
and twisted the nut head off the puller screw in trying to separate the
hubs. I resort to laying them out on the floor with appropriate bar levers
before packing them off to the press
at work. I have bent just one  flange and that was before I bought the
puller. I bought a cheap large at HF to adjust the hubs.  It took a long
time to grind it down to be narrow
enough to fit but it works.

Bob Kramer