[Fot] Differential Pre-load

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Tue Jan 28 14:34:56 MST 2020

I’m rebuilding my differential.  The manual says the pinion bearings should be assembled with spacers to yield a
12-16 lb/inch pre-load, using a bar affixed to the input flange and a sliding weight.  Of course there is a churchhill tool for that!

Either I’m not grasping the concept, or 12 lbs per inch doesn’t seem right.  I’m guessing this is supposed to be 12 inch-pounds,
which I think means a one pound weight at the end of a 12” lever.  All testing is performed with the seal removed.

Even if I am correct, I’ve got it set up with about a 1/2 lb pre-load right now, and that feels pretty stiff already.

Anyone have any experience with this?  This is a GT6 diff, but I’m guessing the instructions don’t vary much.

Thanks,
Scott