[Fot] Differential Pre-load

DAVE HOGYE dlhogye at comcast.net
Thu Jan 30 09:18:19 MST 2020

After I moved to California from Cleveland in 1984, I later made the trip back to Cleveland to bring my '63 Galaxie to California.  The Galaxie had been not been used for a little while, so I renewed all the brake hydraulics and serviced the front wheel bearings, before I made the drive to CA with my brother Pat.  Somewhere north of Nashville with Pat behind the wheel, I smelled burning rubber. I thought we must have been driving through an industrial area.  A short time later, something broke and one front corner of the car dropped a little.  I told my brother not to make any sudden moves, ease on the brakes and very carefully pull off the next exit, which was in close view.  The exit ramp was gently curved and a quick-stop was near by.  We carefully pulled into a parking spot and the front corner was smoking.  I had a floor jack and tools in the trunk.  I took out the floor jack and raised the corner.  The wheel just fell off.  The bearing had welded itself to the spindle axle and of course it snapped.  We were very lucky that the wheel had stayed on.  The brake drum kept it in place.  We were stranded at a repair shop for a couple days while a replacement spindle was pulled off a '61 Country Squire in a scrap yard.  I think I still have the welded bearing and axle somewhere.  I hadn't set enough free-play.  Live and learn.
I still have the Galaxie and it gets lots of care and my brother Tom uses it quite often for pleasure and shows.  Tom and I bought the car together as our first car in '79.  It gets more attention than my TR in the paddock at the Rolex Reunion.  It was my first restoration project when I was 17.  Photo attached.
Dave H.