[Fot] Flywheel wt & crank harmonics -TR3/4

van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be van.mulders.marcel at telenet.be
Fri May 22 00:16:31 MDT 2020

Hi TeriAnn,
In theory, a lighter flywheel would make shift the harmonics to higher rpm and the load on the crankshaft (torsion forces) would be less. I believe this is a reality in the case of the 4 cyl TR crank. The heavy flywheel is there for smoother running, I don't know if there are other advantages? As you know (i.e. of the books of Kas Kastner), the harmonics of the 6 cyl TR crank are much more detrimental with high levering loads on the flywheel bolts.
Maybe the front pulley can be made lighter when the flywheel is lighter.
Respectfully yours,
Marcel Van Mulders.