[Fot] FW: Flywheel wt & crank harmonics -TR3/4

barry rosenberg britcars at bellsouth.net
Fri May 22 06:57:40 MDT 2020

 Back in 1980, Fred Baker won the run-offs at Road Atlanta in a Jag XKE. One thing that he said helped was making the flywheel and harmonic damper as close to the same weight as possible. He used some big American car damper. They had trouble making maximum RPM and ran the engine on a dyno with a strobe light on the flywheel and noticed a severe flex to the crank. They increased the damper weight and the vibration was reduced giving close to 1,000 more RPM. The cranks "wiggle" at high RPM. Matching the weight at both ends reduced that. They did blow the engine the next week when giving writers a test ride. I used this theory on my TR4A using a factory crank that I modified and lightened, I used an ATI custom damper and a lightened aluminum flywheel (less than 18 lbs for flywheel, PP and disc) and was able to turn the engine to 7,300. I also used a custom 1/4" plate bolted to the oil pan rail and across to the center main caps. Maybe some one can get more info on this theory.
Barry Rosenberg