[Fot] Question

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 11:06:45 MST 2021

I have a question about the bracket that the clutch slave cylinder attaches to.  This bracket is attached to the bottom of the bell housing and is supported by a 5/16" rod that goes from the bottom of this bracket and attaches to one of the oil pan bolts.  Got that so far?
I have 2 of these brackets and they are different.  It looks like the difference is in the hole location and shape.  One bracket would appear to locate the slave cylinder closer to the bell housing than the other.  I assume one of these is for a TR-3, and the other for a TR-4, although who knows when they made the change.  My question is which is which?
It looks to me like the best way to differentiate is the difference in the upper hole location, that is, the 2 holes at the top of the bracket when installed.  One of my brackets has the top holes approximately 1 5/8" apart on center.  The other bracket has the top holes 1 13/16" apart on center.
So does anyone have a bracket which is known to be for a TR-3 or one known to be for a TR-4.  If so, could you please measure the distance between the top holes on center?  Thanks for your help, and if anyone has any information about when this was changed (and why), I would be interested in that.
Jack Wheeler