[Fot] Bill Dentinger

Harvey Kinnard harveykinnard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 11:01:33 MST 2021

I remember racing with Bill at Elkhart Lake, Bill in his Light Blue Tr3 with its crazy eyed headlights back in the mid to late 80s. I was racing hard with my KC pal, Dick Carlson, in his Yellow Lotus Elite, I in my BRG Morg +4. Bill was just ahead of us. He must have dropped a wheel off at the fast right hander heading down the short straight to the left before the Carousel, as Bill’s rear end went one way, then the other, and finally all the way around ending up facing both Dick and I head on. Since we were all running about the same speed it seemed to be happening in slow motion. Dick went inside, left, I went right. Bill, dramatically, put his hands over his eyes. We cleared him by inches on on either side in the second or so it took to occur. We never lifted. There wasn’t time. There was little drama, except maybe looking back. I met Bill after that race for the first time. He came by to thank Dick and I for our “heroic driving skills” and “saving his life”, if not his underwear. It was all a bit tongue in cheek and served to introduced me to one of the most iconic personalities in our sport.  I, like so many who knew you much better, will miss you and all you brought to the track. Harvey K.

Sent from my iPhone