[Fot] Lever arm shocks vs. tube shock conversion

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 12:34:40 MST 2021

 Hi,
I am totally against switching from levers to telescoping shocks unless the upper shock mount is both connected to the lower frame (or roll cage, if you have one) AND has accomodation for upper and lower bump stops. Otherwise, you are wasting money and will wind up with body and / or frame problems.
The lever type shock is actually better than tube shocks except other than modified levers, you can't adjust for conditions. That said, the Worldwide folks (nosimport.com) have a conversion with external adjustable valving. Not state of the art, but you can dial soft/firm as needed.

The real problem here is that a lot of folks will add springs with no sense of what the rates are and a lot of times the handling issues are related to springs and shock not matched properly. Skittish on rough roads implies too firm, e.g. not enough compliance, but without knowing why there's a compliance issue, you're sort of shooting in the dark. I mean, you could be seeing a problem because you're driving on the bump stops...
I switched to the Worlwide setup about 10 years ago and the difference in handling was night and day. Plus I can soften the car when it gets wet.
Regards,Bob Lang