[Healeys] slow idle setting

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 9 18:46:05 MDT 2014

Rich - how timely!  Just got in from the garage touching up the BJ8's carb
settings after break-in of the engine re-build (to go along with the ground
up restoration).  Nice to have it on the road again.

Got to disagree with Bob here HD-8's are designed to idle with the throttle
plates completely closed.  In fact, if they are just slightly open, or if
there are any air leaks at discs or shafts, they can be very hard to get
right - the sign is that they don't respond properly to changes in the idle
air-bleed screws.  One thing that a lot of people miss - the fast idle
screws might be set wrong - they might be holding the throttle plate(s) open
slightly, which makes it hard to get the idle screws to respond.  Your home
altitude might be making it more difficult to get a 'sweet spot' setting.

I would check to make sure that your fast idle screws are clear of their
cams when the engine is warm and the choke knob is all the way in and try
again.  My idle screws are approx. 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns out at sea level -
idle speed is approx. 750 / 800 RPM and smooth - surprising for a BJ8, I
know.  Even at your altitude, yours should not be that different if all else
is right, even with a bit more advance than spec.  On a BJ8, if the engine
doesn't diesel after shut off, your idle speed is okay, and you probably
don't have air leaks.  Timing can affect this too.

Ain't it fun?

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb