[Healeys] PBR fittings

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 17 18:48:08 MST 2018

Simon:

When I switched to the PBR servo, it was ordered with a fitting kit from Hydroboost in Australia. (we actually had 6 or seven in the order for people who needed them here) – all VH 40’s, most destined for BJ8’s).

The fitting kits consisted of 2 pre-bent pipes, a pair of mounting brackets from Kilmartin, and a longer vacuum hose – the PBR needs about 4 inches more to reach properly.  This made it a bolt–in proposition, so I didn’t have to go through the angst of figuring it out myself!  (There were no instuctions – it’s really pretty straight forward.)  Also note that it’s pretty nice having a bleed screw on the servo body – makes the whole job much easier!

The brake pipe fittings are the same as what the Girling uses – they should be readily available – along with the length of pipe – to make up your own pipe assemblies if need be.  I doubt that the existing pipes will work.  The exact length and bend will depend on the servo mounting, which positions it in the car.  Mounting brackets should not be too difficult to fabricate, or you could source a pair directly from Kilmartin if you are patient!

One suggestion – we had a couple of the short moulded angled rubber hoses fail – they split pretty early on, leaving the brakes locked up.  Do yourself a favour – before you install the servo, replace it with a length of quality rubber hose and a couple of hose clamps.  You will have to cut an inch or so off the steel pipe to make it work comfortably.

If you wish, I can get a couple of photos of the installed servo on my BJ8.  This might help you with the routing of the one brake pipe that has to go around the right side engine mount.  Even then you might have to fiddle it a bit for the RHD installation.

Let me know.  Cheers,    ----    Earl