[Healeys] LED Headlight Conversion advice

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:52:06 MST 2019

Listers,

I spoke with and ordered LED type H4 replacement headlight bulbs from Super
Bright today.

I had a discussion with their tech guys and learned that the LED
replacements for my BJ8 bulbs draw 1.5 amps (each) of power vs 5.5 - 7 amps
of power for each of the incandescent type bulb (low and high beams).  The
bulb I ordered is the H4-HLV4 bulb (they fit my semi sealed H4 light) and
do not require the additional ballasts that the Moss and others need.
Everything is built into the base of the bulb and nothing more is needed.
It is truly a plug and go bulb that should fit inside my bucket. The wiring
harness does not need to be upgraded nor do relays need to be added, the
power draw is so much lower.  All of this said by the tech guy who had
installed H4 lights in his 68 MGB, with the original wiring harness,
without altering the wiring and he has not had problems.  His comment is
that the LED bulbs draw a great deal less power that the H4 bulb and are
brighter than the Moss units.

The price for my order (Presidents Day Special, 15% off) is $71.85
including taxes and shipping.  No, I have absolutely no financial interest
in the company but I have done business with them in the past and have been
very pleased.

When I receive the bulbs I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Fred
66BJ8