[JONAT-chat] JONAT 2006

jonat-chat@autox.team.net jonat-chat@autox.team.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 02:36:43 EST

Hi Guys -- I hear alot of weariness coming through some of the words I've
seen exchanged.  Our mascot, Jay, was a great idea by whoever thought of
him...and I think helped us to realize some of the shortfalls in the 2004 Tour.
However, there were some wonderful highlights, as well -- and I think making
history was one of them.  Remember, Bob figured out a way to get Jay and the banner
(with everybody's signature) into the Jaguar-Daimler Heritage Trust Museum.  I
consider that quite outstanding.  Few things come easy -- and great things
are often very difficult.

I mentioned once before that there is a whole system of scenic byways and
All-American Roads that have been developed across the United States that are
scenic, well-travelled, well-marked, and well-supported with informational
materials.  If we can tie into those routes and local resources for support, whether
it is with scenic byway organizations or local Jag Clubs, combined with
strategic corporate support -- AND conduct it more like a relay than a tour, I
don't see why it can't be successful.  Perhaps a corporate sponsor for each leg of
the tour with SUFFICIENT marketing and promotion to make it worthwhile for
sponsors.  That was one of the weaknesses of the 2004 Tour.  It turned out more
like a test run than a full-blown, well-marketed and well-advertised event.  I
didn't see anything happen at the end...it kind of petered out like a "spent
balloon." (Bless the person who made it over the finish line).  Then later,
Bob's detailed report of his England trip (that was fabulous) came through and
made for an appropriate finale.

I mean, really -- it's like that saying "like trying to herd cats!"  So how
do you herd cats?  Does anyone know cat psychology?  I think it all starts with
appetizing food -- and it ends with a soft, cushiony place to curl up and
sleep--preferably in a warm window seat.  And cats are curious -- so there must
be things of interest for the kitties to encounter....or interact
with...understanding that it is always on their terms and on their timeframe.  There must
be time for that cat to "loll" around or play with other family pets...I
emphasize the family part -- because cats are territorial.  We must respect
territory.....

Thinking back over the tour, I really enjoyed the progress reports that
people submitted -- and I loved hearing the personal experiences, the joys, the
challenges, and even the disappointments, because it came alive and I felt like I
was there.  It was very cool.  And yes, I spent way more money than I
intended, but I would participate again if I could find a way to spend less -- or at
least obtain better value for the money that was spent.

I wouldn't nix the tour too soon -- I have a small artwork that is an
inspiration to me that was painted by Jody Bergsma from Bellingham, Washington.  It
is a little person with a walking stick striding to the right of a white
unicorn three times his size being ridden by a rather big-eared mouse with a pointy
hat.  On the other side of the boy is a little white lamb tripping along with
a striped woolen hat on its head.  The byline says, "It is the
Adventurers...who accomplish great things!"

Have you ever thought about having the tour simultaneously?  What I mean is,
identify the various segments or loops and have them run at the same time
across the land....over a period of a week or less.  Everyone could contribute
toward a documentary of their trip and it could be shared over the internet.
Perhaps it could be timed so that it ended just prior to some big international
Jaguar event where a display or exhibit could tell the story of what
transpired.... It would be like celebrating the 4th of July and then watching on TV how
they did it in England and France and Japan.....even in Australia. (smile)
That way you still have the regional comraderie.  Just a thought.

Christina Lilienthal
Oregon ASC
'78 XJV12L