[JONAT] RE: FYI

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Dec 4 10:53:01 2003

If we keep this simple, what sector costs do we have? I can only think of
two.

1. The cost to drive the route and case the hotels, and
2. The cost to print up route books.

Regarding #1, I consider that a part of the fun of being an SC. If someone
wants to reimburse me, that's fine, but I'm not expecting it. If charging
people to cover the costs means fewer people on the trip, I would prefer to
not be reimbursed.

Regarding route books, on our registration form, we should have checkboxes
for the sectors the participants will be driving and a couple boxes for
route books. For example:

Route books

( ) I will download and print my own
( ) I will purchase route books at the beginning of each sector for $10.00
each

(...or whatever, making it the same for each sector for simplicity. but it
should be high enough to cover the cost of Xeroxing the largest route book
with about 50% tacked on so the SCs can afford to have a few extra copies
for the people who forget theirs.)

So, for #2, the SCs will be reimbursed directly by the participants and we
eliminate the hassle of divvying up funds.

What do we have for JONAT-wide costs?

I'm sure we can get additions to this by the folks at the top who are doing
yeoman's work, but at this point, the ones that are obvious to me would be

1. memorabilia items (covered by the participants)
2. binder with tabs for the route maps (covered by the participants)
3. web site stuff, especially if it has been costing anyone anything out of
pocket
4. Fazal's airfare (just kidding ;->)

Feel free to add to the list -- it is something we should enumerate. Then,
when we have something close to a total we need to determine if we have
enough to justify a JONAT fee and all the complications it will create. If
the amount is small, could it be more easily covered by some markup on
memorabilia items? (Let me know if we need anything like that. I have a
place I deal with here for some of our local and some JCNA items.)

I'm with the K.I.S.S. group. If we can negotiate a special rate with AAA/CAA
and offer it to the participants like we are with the lodging (i.e. call and
mention JONAT and you'll receive the special rate for the special time
period) or if they will offer coverage for free then I say, "Go for it."

Everything we consider should be viewed through the dual lenses of "will
this increase participation in JONAT" balanced with "how much more effort
will this be for the top brass and SCs." Free blanket coverage for everyone
or xAA coverage at a special rate arranged by the participant directly
through xAA might entice a handful of people to sign up who otherwise
wouldn't and it should not be a great burden to set up.

OTOH, I think we should avoid a JONAT-wide participation fee if at all
possible. It complicates administration. Sector fees will complicate things
even more. Generally, making people pay more won't increase turnout.

Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona
Jaguar Owners North American Tour (www.jonat.org)
April 15 - July 4, 2004
Visit the Pub for route discussions