[JONAT] RE: FYI

Dr Gregory Andrachuk jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Dec 4 11:47:01 2003

Mark: well said on all points. But regarding route books: If the number of
participants is large, this could be a burden on the SC's and their personal
finances if they are expected to pre-pay. There is no budget, after all, for
the individual sectors.  CAA/AAA: their normal practice is to provide
battery assistance, or to tow the car anywhere within a 5 km radius; beyond
that it is chargeable to the car owner, I think, and they normally like to
take the car to a CAA/AAA affliated station, which may  not be, almost
certainly is not going to be a Jaguar mechanic. I really think that we
should be urging the individuals to have their own membership AND prepare
their cars properly so that most eventualities are covered. You cannot
foresee a distributor failure, but there is no need for coolant hose failure
if the car is prepared properly (I may live to regret that I said this; even
new hoses can fail).
                                        Gregory
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Stephenson" <marks@jonat.org>
To: <jonat@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 9:52 AM
Subject: RE: [JONAT] RE: FYI

: If we keep this simple, what sector costs do we have? I can only think of
: two.
:
: 1. The cost to drive the route and case the hotels, and
: 2. The cost to print up route books.
:
: Regarding #1, I consider that a part of the fun of being an SC. If someone
: wants to reimburse me, that's fine, but I'm not expecting it. If charging
: people to cover the costs means fewer people on the trip, I would prefer
: not be reimbursed.
:
: Regarding route books, on our registration form, we should have checkboxes
: for the sectors the participants will be driving and a couple boxes for
: route books. For example:
:
: Route books
:
: ( ) I will download and print my own
: ( ) I will purchase route books at the beginning of each sector for $10.00
: each
:
: (...or whatever, making it the same for each sector for simplicity. but it
: should be high enough to cover the cost of Xeroxing the largest route book
: with about 50% tacked on so the SCs can afford to have a few extra copies
: for the people who forget theirs.)
:
: So, for #2, the SCs will be reimbursed directly by the participants and we
: eliminate the hassle of divvying up funds.
:
: What do we have for JONAT-wide costs?
:
: I'm sure we can get additions to this by the folks at the top who are
doing
: yeoman's work, but at this point, the ones that are obvious to me would be
:
: 1. memorabilia items (covered by the participants)
: 2. binder with tabs for the route maps (covered by the participants)
: 3. web site stuff, especially if it has been costing anyone anything out
of
: pocket
: 4. Fazal's airfare (just kidding ;->)
:
: Feel free to add to the list -- it is something we should enumerate. Then,
: when we have something close to a total we need to determine if we have
: enough to justify a JONAT fee and all the complications it will create. If
: the amount is small, could it be more easily covered by some markup on
: memorabilia items? (Let me know if we need anything like that. I have a
: place I deal with here for some of our local and some JCNA items.)
:
: I'm with the K.I.S.S. group. If we can negotiate a special rate with
AAA/CAA
: and offer it to the participants like we are with the lodging (i.e. call
and
: mention JONAT and you'll receive the special rate for the special time
: period) or if they will offer coverage for free then I say, "Go for it."
:
: Everything we consider should be viewed through the dual lenses of "will
: this increase participation in JONAT" balanced with "how much more effort
: will this be for the top brass and SCs." Free blanket coverage for
everyone
: or xAA coverage at a special rate arranged by the participant directly
: through xAA might entice a handful of people to sign up who otherwise
: wouldn't and it should not be a great burden to set up.
:
: OTOH, I think we should avoid a JONAT-wide participation fee if at all
: possible. It complicates administration. Sector fees will complicate
things
: even more. Generally, making people pay more won't increase turnout.
:
: Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona
: Jaguar Owners North American Tour (www.jonat.org)
: April 15 - July 4, 2004
: Visit the Pub for route discussions
: