[JONAT] SECTOR ROUTES

Dr Gregory Andrachuk jonat@autox.team.net
Tue May 6 23:54:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_pXiKOw6Ahj3cRq5e7nED8A)

Jerry: you raise a very good point. Your concern about what to do with stragglers is, in fact, precisely the point: just how much baby-sitting do the SC's want to do?
     I am getting the picture of a kindergarten class being herded across the street by their teacher. Surely as adults we can all arrange to get ourselves to point B for a dinner at a certain time, or, in fact, for any number of reasons, choose not to attend. And unless we have made some arrangements with others, we should be free to tarry, hurry, dally, or disappear.
    Clearly, all participants should be provided with contact information if they really have a problem, but I don't think the SC's should have to be responsible for keeping track of the whereabouts of individuals. Most will want to travel with others, but there will always be some who want to strike out on their own and the SC's should not have to be waiting at "check points" (in fact, in our segment we haven't even talked about such a thing).
                                                    Gregory
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Jerry Mouton
  To: jonat@autox.team.net
  Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 10:25 PM
  Subject: Re: [JONAT] SECTOR ROUTES

  I will try to have a structured route and stop plan, but of course
  folks can take a different way.  My only worry is when
  wanderers come up with car problems and can't reach us, for
  some reason.  We can leave it to them, but I hope we will have
  some mechanical assistance and parts available with the structured
  group.  And, we may not be able to get to some wide wanderers
  without leaving the rest of the group at loose ends, so they
  will have to be self-reliant wanderers.  I don't think we can
  guarantee to be there for them.

  If we choose a less-structured
  option, I believe we have to clearly tell folks the limits of our responsibilities
  to those who take it.  What will those limits be?  What do we do if
  someone fails to show up at an official checkpoint?  Structured folks
  can be located easily -- the others?  Do we hold up the tour until the
  stragglers are located?  Do we arrange a possee to go scare them up?

  I hope I can introduce out of towners to some little-known routes
  here, but they will want to come along with the crowd to see them all.
  Those in the structured group will be priviledged to strike awe and
  wonder into the appreciative inhabitants of Northern California as
  a glorious group.

  Perhaps there could be some alternative structured paths to choose?

  Jerry

  Jerry Mouton                              "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"