[JONAT] SECTOR ROUTES

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Fri May 9 20:43:01 2003

I agree with Robert. I think most people will prefer the safety and ready
aid of joining a number of other Jaguar owners on the route. After all, the
idea of the drive is that it's a group thing. If everyone goes their
separate direction at the handoff point and recongregates at the next
handoff point, what's the point? Any of us could look at a map, find some
interesting places to visit and drive there. If we aren't going to be able
to share our discoveries with like-minded folks why join an organized tour
that is only going to have the bare minimum of organization.

I think the main route should be laid out with starting points, ending
points, and lunch stops included in the itinerary. We aren't requiring
anyone to take that route, but that is the route the majority and the chase
vehicle (if we have one) will be taking. If you decide to take a side trip,
great, but you are on your own.

That's the way I'd set it up.

Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona
Jaguar Owners North American Tour (www.jonat.org)
April 15 - July 4, 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Robert MacLeay
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 6:01 PM
To: JONAT list
Subject: Re: [JONAT] SECTOR ROUTES

on 5/6/03 8:58 PM, Jamie - JONAT at jamie@jonat.org wrote:

I am now thinking that setting a stopping point each night is a bit anal and
ludicrous.  If we have a main starting point and time at the beginning and a
main stopping point or gathering location at the end of a Sector (agreed to
by the following Sector for their starting point), this should do the trick.
Along the way we can of course have a "suggested route" with suggested stops
of interest listed.  These stops could be a regular listing on the main web
page for that particular Sector (perhaps with their own maps showing
how/where from the "suggested routing" and at what point to "divert".  Along
with the original idea of suggested lodging, eateries, fuel stops,
mechanical services and parts, all these can feed from that web page.

Let us add car washes to that list!

On the subject of stopping points, while I agree on refraining from
over-regimentation, every sector, if only for planning purposes, should have
a master plan with all lodging, driving, sightseeing, and feeding laid out
in excruciating detail.  This will keep us planners honest, and help promote
domestic tranquility by allowing for “real life” touring.

Also, on the subject of optional lodging points, consider that many people
will be faced with the chore of making reservations for a lot of nights. Let
us make planning as easy as possible for them.  Additionally, we have been
hoping to negotiate special group rates, which will help keep people’s
expenses down an/or allow them to spend more days on the road.

So... How many weeks are we going to add to the tour?  ;0

--

Robert MacLeay  -  Denver, CO
1990 VDP Majestic

P.S.: Will we host an official “6,000 mile oil change” event at the half way
mark?
         This would be a great sponsorship opportunity for some oil company!