[JONAT] FW: Summary Request -

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Mon Jan 26 02:05:01 2004

I think we should set a freeze date in the very near future. That would
be a date after which we make no changes to the route dates. Another
freeze date could be a few weeks later where we make no more changes to
the route itself.

A couple weeks after that, the recommended hotels and events for each
sector should be finalized with rates posted.

I say Feb 1 for the dates; Feb 15 for the routes; and Feb 29 for hotels
and events. I think we also need a sector cost figure for each leg which
includes the must-do events. For example, we are going to join the Rt.
66 Fun Run, which I think is $40 or $45 dollars. There is also park
admission to the Grand Canyon at $10 or $12. If we are going to have
Sector fees, that's another $10, although I disagree with that. I think
if we have the information on-line and people choose to download it and
print it out from there, we don't have any expense involved with their
participation. Who collects the money? Where does it go? Who's going to
haul the stock around from place to place.

Another question is what do we do with people like my friend from
Albuquerque who plans to pick up the route in Colorado and drive to the
end or until his XK120 breaks down at which point he'll have it and
himself transported home. Does he pay every time he starts a segment?
Remember, this trip is 10,000 miles total. There aren't going to be that
many people doing the whole thing, but of the ones who do, there is
going to be a lot a lot of attrition. Do we give refunds? What about the
people who show up at the last minute? Do we have to handle the money?

I'm in the k.i.s.s crowd. Perhaps charge the flat fee for entire route
if we have overhead to cover, but forget the sector fees. We should have
the plates and signs available on the Internet and those who want to
join should buy them in advance. We should note that there will be a few
at the start of each segment, but that the only way to guarantee you
have one is to buy it ahead of time.

Mark - AZ