[JONAT] San Francisco Sector Report -- May 7th and 8th (very long).

Jerry Mouton jonat@autox.team.net
Mon May 10 22:36:30 2004

I am taking a rest day at home while Fazal and Craig rest in
San Francisco.  I am not hooking to the internet on the road --
too much fun and no time, anyway...  But here's a report on the
handover and first day on the road.

Several SF participants caravanned down to San Luis Obispo
on Friday, May 7th.  We were

Ray Livingston in his '64 E Type OTS, pearl white;
Mimi and Richard Valenti in their blue XK8 convertible
Kris Carey in his freshly rebuilt '65 E roadster, silver blue metalllic
Craig Talbot all the way from Calgary in his '92 Van den Plas,
   V12, Black Cherry
Me, MIK Jaguar in cream, '64 E Type FHC.

We started at 11 AM, and Kris left immediately to have a few more
adjustments made at his mechanic's.  We drove to San Juan Bautista,
a great mission that I was not able to reach on the tour, and had lunch
in a bier garten in sunny cool weather -- Northern California Normal,
\which continued for the duration of the trip to date.  As we were served,
Kris arrived, all OK.  He was limited to 60 MPH to break in his new engine,
and it ran great the whole way.

After lunch we high-tailed it for San Luis Obispo (SLO) and XKs Unlimited.
XKs invited us to a little wine and snacks teatime and a tour of their shop,
but we had to get there well before they closed.  Kris dragged behind, nut
arrived in good time.

We hung around XKs and noshed, bought some needed parts, and
got a great tour   And waited... and waited... Finally even the XKs Shop
closed -- no LA sector!  So we retired to register at the hotels and
then to the restaurant...  Expecting them to show -- but we were seated,
and no LA..So I checked my list and found Hazel's mobile number --
viola!  Connected!  Turns out they were at XKs wondering where we were.
They drove over to the restaurant and we had a fun dinner together.
Unfortunately, none of the LA participants who planned to join us
partway were able to make it, so we missed seeing them.  Fazal
did come, and we enjoyed adding him and Jay Jaguar to the band.

Saturday we gathered the Jags together for the handoff ceremony,
Hazel taking the place of Ron Rader who had not been able to
join us.  We were also joined by Keith and Susan Waibel in their beautiful
dark blue bugeye Sprite.  Turns out the XK120 had developed a
rod bearing problem at the last minute.  We were glad they could join us.

Then we departed only about 15 minutes late.
So far, I have been amazed at how closely we met the schedule, arrival and
departure times, even though we took a rather lackadaisical approach
to the organization.  The crew was good about pulling together and moving
out, which was a big help.

After a short drive we stopped at Mission San Miguel, one of the
missions in which the original native decoration is still good -- the
church was closed, but we got to wander about the grounds and
photograph Jay Jaguar at the gates.  .

Pressing on through rolling hills on back roads again, we came to
Hunter Liggett military reservation, where we fell in smartly at the
guarding tank for photos.  Continuing through the gate check, we
arrived at the Hacienda, a beautiful lodge designed for William Randolph
Hearst by architect Julia Morgan.  Still well kept and looking fine,
it hosts a local restaurant, which luckily produced great steaks and OK
burgers for the crew.  Jeff Chew and Maria were waiting for us at
the Hacienda, and a primrose yellow '69 E Type -- concours winner
-- joined the parade.

After lunch, we drove to the nearby Mission San Antonio de
Padua, which rests in a
wild valley, just as it did at its founding.  A short reconnoiter and
walkaround, and more photos before we pressed onward.

Starting down the Nacimiento Ferguson road, I took the caravan
through a water crossing, to make sure tires were cool and clean
for the curves ahead.  Then we drove it -- and it was really
spectacular.  It was clear and cool, and the ocean views began
sooner than I had remembered.  The closer we got, the steeper
and curvier the road became.  Like so much of this trip, the end of
the scenic road marked the beginning of the even more scenic
Pacific Coast Highway through Big Sur.  The colors in the ocean
and rocks were absolutely stunning.  The Waibels left us here to
return home and tend to their XK.

We stopped at Julia Pfeiffer Burns
SP to walk out to the ocean and gaze at McWay falls, dropping
80 feet from a cliff onto the ocean beach in a fabulous cove.

Luckily, on this day there was very little traffic, and we avoided the
bane of Big Sur -- slow RVs holding you back to 30 MPH.
Instead, we cruised at our desired speed -- 55-60 MPH.  I believe
everyone really enjoyed the drive, I know I did.  Given my
experience, I can heartily recommend being the leader on
a tour like this -- you get to go just as fast as you want, for a change.
I trust I was not holding anyone back ; -)  I know for a fact that Mimi
Valenti really enjoyed hustling her XK8 down those roads.  She
is a darn good driver!

Arriving at Monterey, only getting lost once (and right on time, too!),
we were very fortunate to have the truly class couple -- Roy and Rose
Swearingen -- join us here.  Roy and Rose set up a relaxing and
convivial wine tasting and hors d'oevres in their hotel room.  Just
a perfect end to the day, and a great way to meld the group.  Michael
Rudman and Theresa joined us at the tasting, and continued to
San Francisco with us.  The Swearingen's V12 XJ-S and Michael's '69
E Roadster  added to the parade, as Jeff and Maria departed.
Surprise, as leader and organizer of the tour discount, the hotel
upgraded me to a beautiful top floor bay view room -- amazingly
comfortable for the same price as the so-so hotel the night before.
Another reason to volunteeer to lead a tour!

We finished the day with a dinner together at Abalonetti's Seafood on
Fisherman's Wharf, enjoying calamari, abalone (farm-raised), Maine
lobester, Cioppino, and so forth, washed down by super wines
provided by Richard and Mimi.  The location would suggest a tourist
place, but the food was good.  I noticed that several places I have
always considered marginal/touristy in SF have now been declared
good by Michelin Guides -- this is a good development, I hope it's
happening in your sector too.

A good time, mostly because of the caliber of the participants.
Every meal was a treat, and everyone got along well together.
Makes you wonder -- if you are with 10 people and you can't
identify the  jerk in the group -- it must be you! ; -)  Truly, this
tour was more like a moving party.

Sorry for the length, but doggone it, it was fun!
More to come tomorrow.

I have many, many photos, but some did not come out.
Holding the camera pointing backward out of the window
does NOT ALWAYS result in a good shot ; -)
I'll get photos from the others and post them for the list when I can.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton    '64 E Type FHC    "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
      Jaguar Owner's North American Tour - http://jonat.org
      April 15, 2004 - July 4, 2004