[JONAT] San Francisco Sector Report -- May 9th (very long).

Jerry Mouton jonat@autox.team.net
Mon May 10 22:36:43 2004

Continuing our saga,

Sunday we set out for San Francisco.  And the fact that it was
Mothers' Day, meant that in addition to calling Mom, we were
in some trouble because I had not remembered this fact in
planning.  Now, Mothers' Day is the biggest restaurant day
nationwide, and a call to Brookdale Inn confirmed that yes,
they were fully booked in the Brook Room.  What would we eat?

We drove through the Salinas Valley through fields of artichoke,
strawberries, lettuce, and Brussels sprouts toward the redwoods.
Wondering about food!  Ray Livingston had gone home for the
night, to meet us at Brookdale Lodge.  He was kind enough to
make calls from there to local restaurants and locate a backup
place, just in case.

We stoppped at the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park for a
stroll through the giant old-growth redwood grove.  Ray
and his wife Peggy rejoined us there and gave us a tour through
their local scenic spot.  There were some
eye-poppingly huge trees there, and the total ambiance was like
the forest in a fairy tale -- cool, sun-dappled, and green.  We got
some shots of Jay Jaguar admiring the trees as a tiny speck.
Turns out that there is an old steam train park just adjacent, and
Craig and Fazal rushed over to see their locomotive purging
the boiler with great hissing and shreiking.  Very dramatic, and
quite a nice auditory backdrop to the forest.

Then we drove to the Lodge, where Jack Castor was waiting in
his Dark Blue Ecurie Ecosse long nose-long tail D Type replica.
This car is recreated in alloy, not in fiberglass, using the actual
original chassis design and monocoque.
Nearly indistinguishable from a real D.  Ray and I are
going to go help him tune it up, for our entertainment!
Susan Lonnblad also joined us, though her 340 Saloon was
not working, and she was not able to join us this time.

The dining room was indeed full, but the Grill adjacent was able
to give us a table (for 14) immediately, much to my surprise.
Last problem solved!  The food was categorized as "top-class
greasy spoon fare", but heck, it was food.  We ate and then
pressed on up Highway 9, a twisty but good quality roadway
through the redwoods.  Turning North on Skyline Drive, we were
able to run faster, 60 MPH, as it follows the ridge above Silicon
Valley.  We paused briefly to view the valley, but there were no
parking spaces, so we took a photo and moved on.

At Sky Londa, we found a parking lot packed with Cafe Racer
wannabes on colorful bikes, all watching our parade pass through
their midst in search of a parking spot -- none tro be found.  So,
we headed for the coast  on Highway 84, another twisty downhill
road which was great fun.  Ray and Peggy departed there, and Kris.

Near the coast we stopped at the famous San Gregorio General
Store, with a mob of aging hippies, serious motorcycles and drivers,
and assorted Nothern California types.  inside, a marginally talented
guitarist was plunking a few notes in preparation for a set, apparently.
We bought snacks and drinks, rested and talked a bit, enjoyed the
company, then set off again.

Jack and the D Type peeled off at Half Moon Bay, the Valentis and
Swearingens also departed, leaving the Rudman car, Craig
and Fazal, and me.  We cruised Ocean Beach in about 35 MPH
winds whippping sand over the roadway -- sandblasting!!! OOOh!
to Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge.  Michael and Theresa
left us then, and the two of us drove on to the Marina Green, a great
Bayfront park, for an end-of-day goodbye.  Craig and Fazal went on
to their Exclusive University Club digs, on their own until Tuesday,
when we continue.  I went home to rest there.

Kris apparently misunderstood our intentions, and I got a call from him
that he would meet us for dinner at a spot where we never ended up.
Since my cell phone had fallen under my seat, I could not
find it, though I could hear it ringing SOMEWHERE.  So I got Kris's
message well after he had waited for us.  My apologies, Kris, I have
not been able to contact you, give a call and I'll explain ; -).  Hope you
had a good time -- we enjoyed the time with you!  Your car seemed
to perform really well, and the sound track you provided on the CD
player was just the right background!

Another great day.  More to come.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton    '64 E Type FHC    "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
      Jaguar Owner's North American Tour - http://jonat.org
      April 15, 2004 - July 4, 2004