[JONAT] Email security tip -I just got "spoofed" in my Pay Pal site

Mike Powley jonat@autox.team.net
Mon Apr 4 19:22:01 2005

Hi Jamie, thanks - I just got "spoofed" in my Pay Pal site and got it
reported it and we Pay Pal and I had a happy ending - and I'll tell you the
site looked very real ...but the request was unusual and the address to me
was not my Pay Pal name but my e-Mail address and that in Pay Pal word is
never done ...so there seems to be no end to this crap .I love the idea of
the 2006 AGM and Western states being a focus point for part of the next
JONAT adventure - that kind of "link-up" is brilliant me thinks .good on
Mark .cheers to all Mike P.

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Jamie - JONAT
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 9:00 AM
To: jonat@autox.team.net
Subject: [JONAT] Email security tip

I would like to bring attention to a hopefully helpful piece of information

regarding anyone posting their email address in emails.  I may seem a bit

paranoid but my version of that thought is that as Admin of the JONAT Site I

receive plenty of error messages from the software stating that an email was

not able to be delivered due to "whatever" reason.  This has indicated to me

that their have been worms, viruses, hackers, etc. trying to pull email

addresses from our site and use them for who knows what purposes.  Most site

have their own protection software so don't worry about things being passed

on, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions with your own email ISP too.

What I wish to point out is that instead of just putting your email address

in an email to someone, try to at least make it a bit harder for the bad

guys.  If you will use the following format, I've been told it will stop

computer generated systems that are out looking through things, from getting

a usable address.  And if it's an "old wives tale", well at least we'll get

the issue cleared up as I'm sure I'm not the only email illiterate out here

in etherland that can use some help from time to time.

Instead of sidpacks@... , try to use " sidpacks_at_aol_dot_com " and do the

manual conversion on the receiving end to use the addy.

PS    Christina?  I hope you didn't mind my using your email as an example

but it was when I saw the email that I felt it was the right time to mention

things.

Jamie

Jamie & Dru - Tulalip, WA

88 Series III V12 VdP - Roxanne