[JONAT] Email security tip

Jamie - JONAT jonat@autox.team.net
Mon Apr 4 10:04:00 2005

I would like to bring attention to a hopefully helpful piece of information
regarding anyone posting their email address in emails.  I may seem a bit
paranoid but my version of that thought is that as Admin of the JONAT Site I
receive plenty of error messages from the software stating that an email was
not able to be delivered due to "whatever" reason.  This has indicated to me
that their have been worms, viruses, hackers, etc. trying to pull email
addresses from our site and use them for who knows what purposes.  Most site
have their own protection software so don't worry about things being passed
on, but it doesn't hurt to take precautions with your own email ISP too.

What I wish to point out is that instead of just putting your email address
in an email to someone, try to at least make it a bit harder for the bad
guys.  If you will use the following format, I've been told it will stop
computer generated systems that are out looking through things, from getting
a usable address.  And if it's an "old wives tale", well at least we'll get
the issue cleared up as I'm sure I'm not the only email illiterate out here
in etherland that can use some help from time to time.

Instead of sidpacks@... , try to use " sidpacks_at_aol_dot_com " and do the
manual conversion on the receiving end to use the addy.

PS    Christina?  I hope you didn't mind my using your email as an example
but it was when I saw the email that I felt it was the right time to mention
things.

Jamie

Jamie & Dru - Tulalip, WA
88 Series III V12 VdP - Roxanne