[JONAT] AGM report

Bob jonat@autox.team.net
Mon Apr 4 19:37:00 2005

Mark

By George, I think I've got it !

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Mark Stephenson
Sent: April 4, 2005 11:59 AM
To: jonat@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: [JONAT] AGM report

Fair question, Fazal and Bob. We're using two different definitions of
"sanction." I grabbed by dictionary for this one. It's U.S. English, so I
make no claims for the validity of these definitions in either Canadian or
Australian English. ;-)

Def. 1: "authoritative permission or approval, as for an action." JCNA has a
strict approval process for competitive events -- concours, slalom, and
rally -- to be eligible for JCNA recognition and continental rankings. The
club applies for a date and and agrees to abide by the official JCNA rules.
Not only does it make the application of the rules consistent, but there are
rules that you can't have two similar competitions in the same vicinity at
the same time. This doesn't preclude another club from holding, for example,
a slalom on a different course than proscribed by JCNA. And, it doesn't mean
that the event isn't covered as a club event for insurance purposes. It just
means that the results won't be accepted by JCNA for continental ranking.
Even if you ran an event by the JCNA rules but didn't obtain the sanction,
the scores wouldn't count for anything but local recognition.

The broader definition of "sanction" is Def. 2: "something that serves to
support an action, condition, etc." In effect, what JCNA said at the Board
meeting was that these events are essentially a series of club events
supported and coordinated by JCNA, but since there are no rules, no
competition, and no rankings, there is nothing to conform to and hence, no
need for a formal sanction as would be expected applying Def. 1. By that
definition, JCNA is sanctioning it, but don't use that word or you'll
confuse everyone.

Christina, that probably answers your question, as well. To fill in a bit
more detail, though, there is a Member-at-Large membership to JCNA for
people who either don't live near or choose not to join a local club. It's
not the most cost effective option because JCNA charges $52 per year in the
U.S. Many local clubs are less than that. Our club is only $50 for the first
year (includes two name badges) and $40 for timely renewals. In both cases
you receive the bi-monthly Jaguar Journal, but in addition, you'd receive
our ten newsletters. Likewise, both rates would be higher outside the U.S.
to cover the aditional postage.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Mark - JCNA guy