[JONAT] Re: Maybe Some Objectives & Criteria are in order?

jonat@autox.team.net jonat@autox.team.net
Wed Apr 6 09:55:01 2005

Hello Folks -- As I listen to the discussions, it sounds kind of chaotic with
ideas and it might be worth taking the time to identify some objectives for
what we want to accomplish with JONAT 2006.  Then see if all of the objectives
seem reasonable to accomplish in one tour.  Maybe you'll want to focus in on a
few to increase your chances of success?

The next step would be to identify the criteria with which folks could agree
to decide a final plan of action.  That way, if you have a route idea that you
think might be terrific, you could run it through the criteria and see if it
is as great at meeting objectives/criteria as you thought.  Or at least it
might show one route to be more advantageous than another.

It might be a wonderful idea to tie in other JCNA activities and events --
but at the same time, think how much energy it takes to just do the tour -- and
how many people will be drawn to the event from the tour.  If many of the
drivers are regional -- they might want to focus on the regional JCNA event and
getting their car ready -- but not necessarily drive the tour because it will
drain energy or distract them from the competition.  I was under the impression
that there are folks who like the shows and events and then there are the
touring folks -- are they distinctly two different groups or are they people who
will do both?

The other real important thing to consider is the season.  Right, Mark -- you
won't want to be driving through Arizona in the heat of summer.  Likewise, if
you want to see some high elevation mountain country, you might need to wait
for July to have safe access unless you are agreeable to driving in the snow.
I don't think anyone wants to do that.  And if it is late July and August
there is increased chance of forest fires in some areas where they have been
experiencing drought...(namely the West and parts of Canada) which could affect
visibility and potentially change tour routes.
**
One objective might be to focus on a tour that "fits the climate of the
region (when it is safe and accessible) allowing access to sights and attractions
when they are open for business (could include a JCNA event)."

Another objective might be:  "include at least one social gathering in each
segment of the tour to encourage social interaction among participants
(gathering could be at an attraction along the route or a JCNA function).

Christina Lilienthal
2004 ASC Oregon