[JONAT] Re: JONAT digest, 100 Year old tidbit

jonat@autox.team.net jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Apr 8 00:06:01 2005

" Start your engines?                      |
|  In 1905, 100 years ago, the First        |
|  Transcontinental Auto Race across        |
|  America began in New York City and       |
|  ended in Portland, Oregon at the Lewis   |
|  and Clark Exposition.  The winning       |
|  driver                                   |
|  stated that the hardest segment of the   |
|  race                                     |
|  was over 7-mile hill on the Santiam      |
|  Wagon Road."

This was an interesting reported piece of information....and it prompted me
to think about where segments of the 06 JONAT could contribute to some
nostalgia -- which always goes over well locally.  If there were historically
important touring/racing car events that occurred in 1906 -- there might be a way to
tie in for a "re-enactment" of an event.  Maybe an important stretch of road
was built in 1906?  Do we have any history buffs in the crowd that might know of
any locations?

I like the feedback I'm hearing from my previous comments.  I particularly
like your idea, Bob, of going through last years notes (fresh from the
experiences) and analyzing what stands out and organizing the information a little.  I
think brainstorming is fine -- but unless the thoughts get semi-organized, the
vision can be lost.  The vision needs to be crystal clear so we're all headed
the same direction (no pun intended).

Christina Lilienthal
2004 ASC Oregon