[JONAT] Re: JONAT digest, 100 Year old tidbit

John McEwen jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Apr 8 01:02:02 2005

Christina, that would let out your Lincoln Highway connection.
However, we can certainly talk about and show people some historic
routes here in Alberta.

In Alberta, there weren't many roads at all or road events in 1906.
The province is celebrating its Centennial this year. A century ago,
there were probably fewer than 20 cars in the whole province and no
highways as we know them.  The first paved road wasn't built until
sometime after 1920 and it only ran for 15 miles from Edmonton to
Fort Saskatchewan.  It was a huge land of wagon trails, stage roads
river boats and railroads.  The situation was about the same in all
of western Canada.  BC was mostly impassable by car because of the
mountains and long lakes.  Transport was by steam boat or railroad,
with a very few difficult roads and some ferries.   Car travel in the
west was seasonal at best with trails ranging from dangerous to
impassable in winter and just plain impassable in spring.  The horse
and buggy and later the Model T Ford were still kings.

When I was a boy in the late '40s and '50s, we still had very few
paved roads.  It was not possible to travel across Canada or Alberta
without some extensive detours or very difficult roads.  Our
Trans-Canada Highway was not finished until the early 1960s and it
was still a two lane road at best in most places.  It wasn't possible
to drive from Edmonton west through the mountains via Jasper to
Kamloops (one of my suggested routes) until the late '60s.

I took that road in 1961.  It was a two lane paved road to Jasper
then became a narrow gravel road running on the abandoned railroad
grade of the Grand Trunk Pacific - complete with depressions from the
removed ties.  It deteriorated from that to a bush trail barely the
width of a car.  Some of the bridges were ex-railroad with planks
over the ties, or were army Bailey bridges or in some cases just
fords.  The drive from Jasper to Kamloops took 13 hours in my '47
Chev and I was exhausted when I finally completed the 250 miles after
sawing on the wheel for endless miles of curves with bush slapping
the fenders.  There was almost no fuel available on the road and I
carried extra with me.

Travel by the old E-W route from Calgary to Vancouver took at least
two to three days to complete the drive and involved following the
Columbia River around the "Big Bend" which added nearly 300 miles of
poor gravel to the distance.  The road was almost completely unpaved
and often dangerous.   Landslides and avalanches were common - often
resulting in days of waiting while crews worked to clear the road to
traffic.  Winter travel was pretty well non-existent. This situation
persisted into the '60s and in places the road is still narrow and
difficult.  Crossing at least three mountain ranges while trying to
travel E - W when the mountains and valleys run N-S is never fun.  It
was commonplace for Canadians to travel through Montana, Idaho and
Washington instead.

We may not be able to re-enact events of 2006, but we could certainly
talk about and drive on roads which have made mountain travel
possible during the past 40 years.

John