[Mailman] Early MG TD hubs

gunnellj tds.net gunnellj at tds.net
Fri Feb 1 07:00:10 MST 2013

My 1950 MG TD "hot rod" has the early 2-piece hubs no longer even listed in
the catalogs. In disassembling what was truly a wretched car some of the
short, stubby, slotted screws that go into the hub were ruined. Is there
any source of replacements.

One also broke off flush and has to be drilled out.

One other question. The outer bearing opening on one hub was rather
badly battered and mushroomed over by a DPO and I had to take the hub to a
machine shop to get the old bearing out. With the clean up I can press a
new bearing in and I don't thing the ugly lip around the outer bearing
opening will affect anything. Opinions?

Suggestions on repairing these hus will be most appreciated. Originality is
not an issue. This is one car that is truly being "saved" by preserving it
in a non-authentic fashion.

--

"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715-445-4262
Cell: 715-281-5925

LIVIN' THE DREAM

Please visit Gunner's Great Garage

Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - Art Gallery

E6110 Fuhs Rd, Manawa, WI 54949

Cell: 715-281-5925 (anytime)

Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at www.gunnersgreatgarage.com

Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com

Publications and Websites I Contribute To: Old Cars Weekly, Old Cars
Restoration Guide, For Vettes Only, Amos Auto Enthusiast Weekly (digital),
Auto Enthusiast (print), Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
Vintage Truck, Vette Vues, Free Riders Press, Second Chance Garage, Garage
Style, Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe, Gunner's Great Garage News
(blog), Gunner's Garage (blog), Super Chevy, Muscle Car Review, Smoke
Signals, Pontiac Registry (Website), Classic Motorsports, Gearhead News,
Keith Lasrsen Show Newstalk 1110 / WBLT Radio Charlotte, N.C., Muzzy
Broadcasting System's Legends of Country B-104.9 Stevens Point WI &
Occasional Others.