[Mg-mmm] Head Stud Torque and Checking

Dduncombes at aol.com Dduncombes at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 06:20:12 MST 2009

Hi Chris
I seem to remember when I torqued up my cylinder head on the P type the
figure was 35 lbs ft.  If you've got a solid copper gasket check it after
starting up whilst warm - it won't go up much more thereafter.  A copper  asbestos or
modern equivalent needs to be progressively tightened over some time  - I
would not leave it for 500 miles before the first check, more like after its
been warmed up, then 100 miles then 250 and then 500.  Mind you I wouldn't  use a
copper asbestos gasket at all!
Regards
Paul Duncombe