[Mg-mmm] Pre-War MG Cold Weather Attire

Daniel Shockey magnut_dan at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 16 10:15:42 MST 2010

The list is quiet this time of year, so...

Returning from Wisconsin following the GoF (Central) early one morning in late
September, I was very glad to have my leather flying-style jacket and
fleece-lined aviator cap. I didnt want to erect the top so was wearing all
the clothes I brought. I was driving my TD on that occasion.

When we left California to return to Illinois, after 29 years on the West
Coast, our MG club (the MG Owners Club based in the San Francisco Bay Area)
gave me an English-made leather flying helmet. It is a wonderful gift; I
didnt realize they would be so glad to be rid of me! The winters here have
returned to being long and cold, and I found myself wearing the flying cap
when it was frigid, below zero degrees Fahrenheit. I even wore it sledding
this Christmas. Add a ski mask and sometimes ski goggles and it is really
warm.

I look for leather flying jackets at garage sales and thrift stores. They are
not uncommon, although usually in small or medium sizes. I saw a lovely
reproduction yesterday for $5 at Goodwill, made by an original WWII American
maker, unfortunately in Korea. However it was too small and had the zipper on
the wrong side! I purchased a bomber-style leather jacket (without fleece) at
Penneys after Christmas, marked down to $50. It is a really nice jacket with
rich leather, with a name brand but made in China. Flying jackets appear
popular now. A college professor friend in her 50s wears a nice one most the
winter.

I decided I could have the feel of driving my MG during these long cold
winters, while the MGs hibernate, by dressing like it. I came across a
Chinese-made ear-flap cap that I purchased to save wear on my special one. It
is good leather trimmed in rabbit fur. It is more artic-explorer style with
snapped flaps in front and over the ears. It has good length to cover all your
neck. The flap has been useful when walking into a blizzard or sleet, or
blocking snow-blindness. I walk an hour or so outdoors every day, whatever the
weather. I find that dressing right keeps it fun and makes me feel it is an
adventure. There is no one else out to laugh at how I am dressed. And I have a
padded helmet on my head for when next I fall on the ice.

When I first got the P-type, I ordered a pair of inexpensive leather
flying-style caps from Whitney. These are for motorcyclists but were American
made. My father joined me at GoF West in Monterey where we wore them around
the Sears Point track. Dad still wears his when it is very cold. He calls it a
Lindy Cap. I like to keep an inexpensive flying cap handy in the MGs.

The cap from China came from The Sportsmans Guide who also sell interesting
military surplus gear like warm mittens. It was $30. (I can only wish I had
commercial interest in anything.) Has anyone out there found deals on caps or
jackets, especially ones made in America or Europe? I hope to get the MGs for
a run soon.

Best regards,

Dan Shockey
Wyoming, Illinois