[Mg-mmm] Tires for my P-type

Gary Krukoski garykrukoski at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 30 11:45:19 MDT 2013

Hi
I have the Excelsior tires on my J2. They came from Hot Rod Hank. Very
happy with them. The shipping is free from them.

Gary

On Wednesday,
October 30, 2013 11:46 AM, Daniel Shockey <magnut_dan at hotmail.com> wrote:
Hello, Team,
I am in a quandary about which tires I should buy for my PA. It
appears that I
have some brand, type and size options with no clear winner. I
had assumed
that the Blockleys were the way to go but I have seen a couple
guys choose
"TC" pattern tires lately instead. I also see that there are other
tires with
the 3-block pattern, the Excelsior Comp H and the Longstone. The
MMM bogs do
not give a clear winner except perhaps for racing applications.
The Excelsior Comp H is a better price that the Blockleys I have found but it
recommends a 3.5" rim width. (Is it the same tire as the Blockley?) The best
price appears to be the Longstone 3-block-tread, $99 from Lucas Classic Tires,
but only in 350-19 with a height of 26.33". I don't want to go smaller than
400-19 unless there is a compelling reason.
I only use the car for
sometimes-spirited touring. The Dunlop motorcycle
sidecar tires I have on
there have worn surprisingly quickly (on back) and I
seem to four-wheel drift
around every corner. (Sliding causing quick wear?) I
have purchased new wheels
and don't want to transfer the old tires. Plus they
are well over 10 years old
now.
Recommendations appreciated. Is there a comparison test I have missed?
Thanks much

Dan ShockeyPA2108
Mg-mmm at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html