[Mg-mmm] Tires for my P-type

Chris Nowlan nowlanc at comcast.net
Thu Oct 31 07:12:06 MDT 2013

Hi Dan,

	As a purist of long standing and a vintage parts guy for way too
many years, had direct involvement in the original development of the
Blockley triple stud tires.   This is the only style of tire that was used
originally on all but late P and N types.  They were original developed by
Derek Freathly who was an ex Dunlop race tire engineer. He had a small
retirement business making a line of appropriately sized and engineered high
quality inner tubes and rim bands for classic cars.  I met him though my
involvement with Moss and encouraged him over dinner to get into the triple
stud tyre business. I got him in touch with an L2 friend who had an original
Dunlop triple stud tire and the rest is history.

	The Classico, Trident,Riden and Blockley are different iterations by
the same maker and the reasons for the different names is a story in itself.

	I can't really speak for the other brands but the Excelsior tires
are not Blockley's.  Triple stud tires are the only style that really look
right on our MMM cars.  The standard Dunlop "B5" highway tread is simply too
modern and is actually only 100% correct for later TC's.

	400 X 19's are correct for most MMM cars but in all honesty, the 450
X 19's look much better, particularly on a P type with cycle wings.  The
450's will not fit a truly correct J2 spare tyre rack but will fit most of
the repro racks that have been made for years, mostly of dubious quality.
350 x19 or the slightly later Dunlop 350/400X 19 are way too small for any
MMM car and really look ridiculous on a P type.  Dunlop also did produce a
proper 400 X 19 in the "B5" Highway tread and these will at least fit an
original J2 spare tyre rack.

	I'm on my second set of 450X19 Blockley's on my L2 but I have raced
it many times over the past 6 years or so.  The car drifts through the
corners and this does scrub off rubber.  The Blockley tires are almost
universally used by the serious GP prewar racers.  I've got the prototype
400 X 19 triple studs on my J2 and have not seen signs of wear in over 10
years but then the car does not get much use these days.

All the best,

Chris  Nowlan