[Mg-t] Broken axle

GRUNAU, ROBT grunau.garage at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 21 18:35:22 MDT 2009

Douglas,
I think you need to at least take off half the axle casing, the small half.
. Yes you can punch out the busted piece with a 3/8" diameter rod, but what
about the swarf . I would split the axle, clean out the swarf ( which is
SURE to be there ), then reassemble the diff. Install new axle , and carry
on.

BUT, I would seriously recommend taking the whole rear axle out, stripping
it down, checking wear on spider gear thrust bushings etc. replace front oil
seal and do the whole job right. 50 yuears ago I snapped an axle and the
cause was the spider ghear bushings were so worn that the spider gear teeth
did not mesh properly, jammed,  and snapped the axle. Do it right the first
time.
Bob Grunau