[Mg-t] Thanks TD Broken axle

GRUNAU, ROBT grunau.garage at sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 24 09:03:37 MDT 2009

Nearly 50 years ago I snapped a TD axle backing out of the drive and turning
onto the street. The problem was very worn spider gear thrust washers which
allowed end to end teeth contact of the spider gears and locked up the diff.
So if you have a broken axle, it is worth while checking there is not a lot
of wear in the spider gear brass thrust washers.
Bob Grunau

Mine snapped with a downshift on a long downhill on a back road with
lots of potholes.  My downfall was ignoring a leaking rear damper
(shock).  The damper's job is to keep the wheel on the road, and I think
the excess play kept beating up the axle with every bump(and the splines
in the brake drum, which were also shot.)

Andy Moyce
52 TD

Doug,

That sounds like a good way to snap an axle - I absolutely abhor those
speed bumps, but they can be smoothed right out if one can get one side
of the car off of them.  The best way, particularly with a 5.125:1
differential is to allow the car to roll backward a bit down a grade and

pop the clutch to catch it.  I've heard of more axles broken that way
than anything else and is why I always use the hand brake to hold the
car if I am stopped on even the slightest incline.

Cheers,
Dave
Mg-t at autox.team.net

Archives at http://www.team.net/archive