[Mg-t] TD Starter problem

Stuart Keen simbafish at comcast.net
Sun Mar 4 13:05:30 MST 2012

I cleaned ALL cable contacts. They are all SHINY. No change to the
intermittent starter problem.

I took off the starter. The teeth look hardly used.

I had a friend crank over the engine (I took out the plugs to make it
easier) as I looked at the ring gear. I painted a white line so I would know
where I started. Went around the ring gear twice, first looking at the side
of the teeth, and then looking down into the teeth. Like Glenn MG Repair
said, ring gear is good. I find NO WEAR.

I will now inspect the brushes of the NEW starter.

If that does not give answers, then I  will put it all back together and
temporarily run a ground cable from the starter to the battery just in case
somewhere along the ground line, I have a problem. This should eliminate any
cable problem.

Anything else? I think I have covered everything, but open to suggestions.

Stu