[Mg-t] Mg-t Digest, Vol 7, Issue 61

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Sat May 18 09:50:05 MDT 2013

On the subject of pulling old bolts when you REALLY don't want to
destroy things, try a solution of 50% ATF and 50% acetone. Shake it till
it's pink and brush it on. It's the best penetrating oil I've found.
I've had fasteners that wouldn't give up to it, but very few. As with
any other penetrating oil, let soak until you get movement in either
direction, let soak some more. If you've got movement in either
direction, the thread WILL give way unless something is horribly wrong.

How you take things apart has a direct bearing on how they get put back
together again. I know it's old wisdom, but it bears repeating.

Glenn