[Mg-t] Mg-t Digest, Vol 7, Issue 61

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Sat May 18 13:06:48 MDT 2013

Hi Glenn,

You wrote,

> On the subject of pulling old bolts when you REALLY don't want to destroy
> things, try a solution of 50% ATF and 50% acetone... If you've got movement
> in either direction, the thread WILL give way unless something is horribly wrong.

Thanks for the advice Glenn.  I doubt that ANY magic solution would
address this level of rust damage.  See attached.

> How you take things apart has a direct bearing on how they get put back
> together again. I know it's old wisdom, but it bears repeating.

I don't know whether this is a statement of general philosophy or
admonishment of my work techniques.  I assure you, and I don't know
why, that anything original to this car that can be saved is being
saved.  However, a rusty, stretched bolt is going to get replaced,
independent of how it is removed.  Did I misread your intent?

-rick
attachment

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of rusty_bolt.jpg]