[Mgb-v8] Fwd: Shortened water pump

David Kernberger dkern at napanet.net
Thu Aug 28 23:58:27 MDT 2008

To all,

	For what it is worth, I am with Darius.  It seems to me that
either this short pump will require a pulley with a different amount
of offset, or the other pulleys in the system will also need to be
changed to match.  All pulley grooves for a single belt must lie in
the same plane.  I even wonder if the short pump might locate the fan
in the old belt plane??  Or maybe awfully close?  Am I missing
something here also???

Cheers,
Dave K.

>Maybe this article will help:
>
>http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Shortie-Water-Pump.htm

Carl

>>  Barrie,
>>
>>	First, thanks for the quick response. However, I'm still not sure my
>>  question was understood.
>>
>  > I've looked at the picture of the modified water pump and a 3 inch thick
>  > unit would indeed benefit my application.
>  >
>>  As you stated it appears that the body of the water pump has been machined
>>  on its "engine side" and that the protruding nose of the shaft have been
>>  machined off. The water pump pulley mounting flange has been pressed
>>  toward the body of the pump and the overall change offers a considerable
>  > savings in length.
>  >
>  > Now for the difficulty.  Since the pulley mounting flange has been moved
>  > toward the engine and with the pump body itself machined to reduce its
>>  overall thickness, the pulley, when mounted, would be in a different plane
>>  than the crankshaft drive pulley.... unless I'm missing something. Such a
>  > misalignment would induce drive belt flip off.  Can you enlighten me
>  > further? I am trainable.

Darius

>  >Darius,
>  >
>  >	No change to the pulley. The unit is just made shorter by
>machining the body back and machining out for the bearing and
>cutting the axle back and
>retaining the thing onto which the pulley is bolted. See photo.

Barrie