[Mgb-v8] Gear box oil

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 01:40:48 MDT 2008

According to the Haynes for my old SD1 it is Castrol Hypoy B75 SAE75 for a
refill or Castrol Hypoy Light SAE80 for a topup, or equivalent, i.e. gear oil.
ATF e.g. Castrol TQF was used in the auto box.  The factory V8 also uses gear
oil in the gearbox whereas the 4-cylinder uses engine oil of course.  ATF is
recommended by some for the 4-cylinder gearbox, sometimes it is said to clear
OD problems by acting as a cleaning agent, but I would never use that or
engine oil in the gearbox of my V8 because of its higher torque.

PaulH.