Fwd: Re: Marauder Belt Drive

Jacuzzi jacuzzi2313@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 12:17:30 -0700 (PDT)

AMIGo's, here's the response I got from Scootworks as promised.

Tech Support <support@scootworks.com> wrote:To: jacuzzi2313@sbcglobal.net
From: Tech Support
Subject: Re: Marauder Belt Drive
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:57:50 -0400

>>From: Jacuzzi
>>Now that I have 1000 miles on the belt drive, I wanted to give you my
>feedback and impressions. First, I was one of three Marauders in Asheville
>with the belt drive. The other two have experienced numerous rubbing
>problems with the installation. I had looked at both of those bikes with
>the owners. One was the swing arm cover rubbing on the front pulley. The
>other was a serious misalignment of the rear wheel. This bike was rubbing
>the tire on the left side. I cannot be sure that the belt drive caused this
>problem, as it is a direct replacement for the chain and sprockets, but it
>didn't rub before. I have also observed that my rear wheel is not centered
>under the license plate. I have observed this on other Marauders with
>chains too though.

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your feedback. There is nothing associated with the belt drive
that would cause the rear wheel to be misaligned. I have noticed several in
the shop (have one in the shop for a drive install now) with the rear wheels
not in the center of the swingarm/fender. Seems to be a large acceptable
manufacturing tolerance in swingarm fabrication (same as with the Kawasaki
Vulcan 800), to me. Additionally, I have seen folks loose/misplace/not
install the spacer that goes between the pulley's drive hub (the part that
the sprocket/pulley bolts to) and wheel hub, which will cause the wheel to
sit a bit more to the left.

>>In my opinion, the 2.22:1 final drive ratio is too high. The bike has very
>little acceleration from a stop, particularly an uphill stop. It requires a
>lot of clutch slippage to get it rolling. It also requires that the rider
>stay in a lower gear much longer. There is also significant engine lugging
>when there is insufficient speed for a given gear.

We tested many different ratios, some as high as 2.05:1. Based on the
engine's available torque band, and the largest feedback from a survey we
did about 3 years ago, the majority of respondants said that they desird a
low engine speed in 5th gear at 60mph. Only a few said they wanted to retain
the ability to have an agressive start the bike from a stop. As a result of
the feedback, we began a journey to manufacture several ratios from 2.05 to
2.75 for testing. The system was in development for over 3 years, and the
2.22:1 was finally decided upon based on the results of several prototype
bikes and riders. Tooling was purchased for core stock and belting
manufacture, and we began running the 2.22's in the field for extensive
testing.

>>I am not trying to paint a negative picture of your product, it is my goal
>to give you constructive criticism, for you to make a better product. I
>would be very willing to test a belt with a lower final drive ration for
>you, as I am very pleased with the belt drive except for the final drive
>ratio. It is much quieter and requires far less maintenance. I also scored
>160 miles out of a tank before hitting reserve, which is unheard of for a
>Marauder.

I'll keep your info on hand for field testing of a lower final ratio. We
have manufactured and sold quite a large number of the 2.21 ratio system,
and have no problem in the field. We do, however, have a small list of folks
like youselve who desire a lower ratio. I'll be investigating this, and will
let you know of the results.

It's not as simple as it might sound to produce a different ratio, as
investment tooling, hobs, and drum stock for the pulley cores and belting
will easily run us over $100,000...an amount that will be difficule to
recover for a new ratio. I do appreciate your feedback!

>>Other concerns that have been cited by MIG members are the tightness of the
>belt and the stress that the tightness places on the transmission shaft and
>bearings.

In the FAQs, you'll find an explanation of the load distribution testing
that was done on the Marauder's output shaft bearings, rear axle bearings,
and FEA study of all driveline components. Additionally, there is an
explanation of why the belt "feels" tighter than it actually is, sue to the
lack of elasticity in the belting technology we use. If you were to cut the
belt and insert a strain gauge, you'd find that the tension isn't much
different than any other drive belt used in motorcycles...the fact there is
no elasticity simply doesn;t allow the belt to stretch any pulled/twisted by
hand.

Again, thanks for your feedback. I'll contact you when we begin to focus on
a lower final drive ratio for a possible second belt drive model release.

Sincerely,
Dave
Tech Support
support@ScootWorks.com

www.ScootWorks.com
www.ScootWorks.net
www.ScootWorks.org

EMAIL NOTICE - This transmission is considered private & confidential, and
intended for the addressee only. You may not disclose, reprint, or copy the
information contained herein in part or in whole, without the expressed
written permission of the sender or Scootworks, Inc.