[Mig] HELP - Backfiring and Spitting

Jacuzzi jacuzzi2313@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:32:31 -0700 (PDT)

That's what I thought.  Thanks for the advice.

Jacuzzi

Lawrence LaCosse <llacosse@up.net> wrote:
Geeze Dude.  Just giving her a bath did that?  I've washed mine dozens of times without any adverse results.  A wash will not cause the bike to "spit out flames".  Well, maybe too much h2o was used and the spark plug tubes are full of water.  That would definatly short out the ignition and cause one cylinder to not fire thus a build-up of gas thus backfiring and flames.  Just let her dry out I guess.

Lawrence From MI

----- Original Message -----
From: Jacuzzi
To: Mig ; MIG Cruisers
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 8:57 PM
Subject: [Mig] HELP - Backfiring and Spitting

I did something really stupid yesterday, I washed my bike, dried her nicely and put her away without starting her up.

This morning I was ready to go out on the Kick-It Ride for the American Cancer Society.  Well she spat and backfired and would only run on one cylinder, so I did the only compassionate thing I could, I roller her back into the garage.  Fortunately a friend stores his bike in my garage.  It's a Vulcan 800 Classic that desparately needed to be riden.  I took his bike for the day and was off.

Today was a perfect day for motorcycling.  Sunny skies, cool temps, warm enough for a tee shirt, but not too hot.

When I got home this afternoon, I took the Marauder out.  She backfired and spit out flames, but ran on both cylinders for the most part.  I could hear her popping under the tank in the front air box.

Will this cure itself?  Did I do any damage to her?

Thanks MIGdom

Jacuzzi #2313
'01 Marauder
Stage 1 jet kit and Cobra Slip On's