[Mig] HELP - Backfiring and Spitting

Eric Boehm ejboehm@optonline.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:35:48 -0400

You got the ignition wires wet down in the cylinder head holes.  Yes, it'll
resolve itself when they dry.  Or, pull the plug wires out, and blow some
compressed air down the holes.  Spray the wires with some water repellent
like silicone spray or WD-40 (let it evaporate before you run the bike!).
That'll drive the water out of the wires.  Should run fine after that.

    Eric 379

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jacuzzi" <jacuzzi2313@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Mig" <mig@mig.stormlogix.net>; "MIG Cruisers"
<migcruisers@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 8:57 PM
Subject: [Mig] HELP - Backfiring and Spitting

> I did something really stupid yesterday, I washed my bike, dried her
nicely and put her away without starting her up.

> This morning I was ready to go out on the Kick-It Ride for the American
Cancer Society.  Well she spat and backfired and would only run on one
cylinder, so I did the only compassionate thing I could, I roller her back
into the garage.  Fortunately a friend stores his bike in my garage.  It's a
Vulcan 800 Classic that desparately needed to be riden.  I took his bike for
the day and was off.

> Today was a perfect day for motorcycling.  Sunny skies, cool temps, warm
enough for a tee shirt, but not too hot.

> When I got home this afternoon, I took the Marauder out.  She backfired
and spit out flames, but ran on both cylinders for the most part.  I could
hear her popping under the tank in the front air box.