[Nobbc] Communication

Ron Engelhardt nobbc at sonic.net
Tue Jan 13 12:45:46 MST 2009

I'm changing the title of this thread because it's of root importance to
our club and should be discussed.

Heh, one of my main worries over the years is that we would have a ride
and ALL 125+ members would show up...chaos! Fortunately, we usually have
a manageable group and rarely lose people. We did have 3 dozen cars show
up a few years back at Warm Springs but the ride route was simple enough
that no one could get lost.

That being said, it may be time to bend our non-rules for larger rides
and figure out a mechanism for keeping rides together, maybe cell phones
or walkie-talkies. Most places we go have limited or no cell service so
maybe radios are the way to go. One for the point car, one for drag
(last) and maybe one or two in the middle of larger rides. I think we've
done a pretty fair job of staying together and waiting so far but the
rides seem to be increasing in popularity again. The real joy of owning
a Brit car is getting it OUT of the garage as frequently as possible and
the rides are reflecting that.

I don't know a whole lot about the two way radios available and would be
especially interested to know if different brands talk to one another
and any other shortcomings. In our non dues club it would be better for
individuals to purchase radios themselves on a volunteer basis, I'm
guessing they aren't too expensive. Perhaps we would always then have
members with radios available on the larger rides and better
coordination. Any thoughts?

Ron
58 MGA