[Nobbc] Whew! Saturday's Drive...

G. Mugele mewgull at sonic.net
Tue Jan 13 10:57:43 MST 2009

Hi all,

As the interloper Saturday... yeah I'm the one that invaded England in
the Panzer, I feel a need to comment on the great camaraderie.
What a great, fun group of people with fun cars.  The weather was so
good that the Land Rover had to stay home.  I'm too old and lazy to
take the top off anymore; it is an all day chore.
I thanks all those responsible for making it such a nice experience.

Regarding Deanos comment on the NOBBC non-rules... in the Land Rover
group we blame all rule related stuff on Joseph Lucas, and it's also
Joe doing the "organizing" of our annual gathering in the Mendocino
National Forest...  Anyway I have been the tour chair for the Empire
Sports Car Assn  (AKA ESCA) for the past few years and we have found
that FRS radios are a great aid in coordinating our group outings.
They're relatively cheap and easy to use.   The useful range is fairly
good at about 5 miles in optimal conditions and one or two miles in
canyons and hills.  They are available all over the place, Big Five
Sports almost always has some cheesy ones on sale, REI has good ones
and I'm sure they're available at plenty of other retail stores.  The
threshold price is in the $20 range and really nice ones are under
$100.     I have found that the Motorola brand units are the most
reliable and best quality sound.

FRS is a special band authorized by the FCC.

 From Wikipedia:
The Family Radio Service (FRS) is an improved walkie talkie radio
system authorized in the United States since 1996. This personal radio
service uses channelized frequencies in the ultra high frequency (UHF)
band. It does not suffer the interference effects found on citizens'
band (CB) at 27 MHz, or the 49 MHz band also used by cordless phones,
toys, and baby monitors. FRS uses frequency modulation (FM) instead of
amplitude modulation (AM). Since the UHF band has different radio
propagation characteristics, short range use of FRS may be more
reliable than license-free radios operating in the HF CB band.

Just a suggestion.

Gerry Mugele  (Land-Rover D90 and MB SLK350)

On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Paige, Dean wrote:

> We really need to do more to keep ourselves together from the start. I
> was chagrined to find us moving out while a few folks were not yet in
> there vehicles. The rules (yea I know we're not supposed to need any
> steeeenking rules) got to be that the lead doesn't move until everyone
> has engines running. If nothing else a cell phone in the hands of the
> last in line and the first in line would really help out in this
> regard.
>
> Deano

G. Mugele
mewgull at mugele.net

*** Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.   It's
already tomorrow in Australia.   -- Charles M. Schulz