[Nobbc] Creative "solution" to the front license plate

Tom Reier bluesson at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 14:19:04 MST 2009

  I've been driving without a front plate on anything I own/have owned for
about thirty years, and I've never been ticketed/stopped/questioned about it.
Wait, I take that back...the 62 Mini Cooper had the BRIT plate on the front.
  My modern 07 Mini S has no front plate. The dealer asks you if you want the
front bumper DRILLED for it, and you sign a form saying yay or nay. I opted
for no drilling. What I want to mention to you creative types is to go to
www.gominigo.com and look at the front license plate holder they sell. I have
one (uninstalled, of course) in case I ever need it or am going on a long out
of state tour, etc. The holder's key is that it installs with one big nut onto
the threaded piece behind the square hole in the front bumper where the TOW
HOOK would fasten on if needed. You can take this baby off/on in a minute or
two. I'd imagine you could figure a way to build something similar for any
older car by figuring out how to put that threaded POST behind your front
grill. Making the frame would be some simple fabrication with as little as
some stainless strap, a  hacksaw, a drill or drill press and a grinding wheel,
plus some stainless nyloc fasteners, and you could keep it simpler yet by
having just a single strap that bolts the plate through the two top holes
only. There's really no need for the top and bottom straps.  Just tryin' to
help. For the record: FRONT LICENSE PLATES SUCK. Cops who write tickets for
this frivolous "offense" need to get to fighting some real crime.  IMO. Tom>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:11:42 -0800> From: drmartyrayman at gmail.com> To:
nobbc at autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Front Plate petition> > my wife got
a citation on our mini for no front plate whilst parked in> berkeley. there
was no parking or moving violation, just noted by a parking> officer walking
by... i have no front plate on my honda s2000 nor on my '53> mg td and so far,
have never been bothered. the husband of one of my staff> is a chp. he said
that that no front plate is the very last thing that they> are worried about
or looking for. they absolutely hate an illegal driver's> side tinted window.
that, they will stop you for in a nanosecond.> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 7:29
AM, David Willson <davidwi at sonic.net> wrote:> > > At 01:48 PM 1/14/2009, you
wrote:> >> >> I was one of the Nobbc group ticketed by Sgt. Awipe of the Napa
county> >> mounties in a stunning display of judicial overkill.> >>> >> >
FWIW, I took my front plate off last year and haven't been bothered about> >
it yet, even by a CHP who pulled me over and gave me an award for going> >
really fast. ;-) I guess I've been lucky so far. Can you contest it and> > say
it fell off?> >> > David Willson> > Sebastopol, CA> > 74 JH # 19377 Daily
commuter> > 74 JH # 15244 Excellent parts car (need parts?)> >
-- > Martin Sinai Rayman, D.D.S.> Pediatric Dentistry> 912 Grand Avenue, #202>
San Rafael, CA 94901-3538> Voice: 415.459.1444> FAX: 415.459.1320> Website:
http://www.openbigdds.com> > NOTICE: This communication, including any
attachments, is confidential and> may be protected by privilege. If you are
not the intended recipient, any> use, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is> strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error,> please immediately notify the sender by telephone or
e-mail, and permanently> delete all copies, electronic or other, you may have.
The foregoing applies> even if this notice is embedded in a message that is